This week, another firmware update was released for the Surface Pro 3. As I had reported previously, I’ve been plagued with Wi-Fi reconnection issues on my Surface Pro. I’ve been able to live with it by understanding some of the issues and making adjustments but they have felt like a compromise so far. The two adjustments I’ve are:
Hyper-V – I use Hyper-V quite a bit and one of the known issues is Hyper-V not playing nice with Connected Standby.
Home Wi-Fi Configuration – I’ve made some changes to my home network to try and work around some of the issues. You can read about them in a separate post.
Today, I received the latest firmware update to my device and the Wi-Fi seems more stable so far.
Surface firmware updates are available as part of the Windows Update Service. If you rely on this service, the update availability is staggered so not all devices will have updates available to them at the same time. I just got the January 15th payload this morning. January 17th.
In another post I will update you on a more enterprise friendly method to manage firmware and driver updates that relies on MSI files.
So what’s in the January 15th, 2015 firmware update for the Surface Pro 3? Here’s a brief overview.
- Surface Pro UEFI update (v3.11.450.0) adds support for updated HD Graphics Family driver.
- HD Graphics Family driver update (v10.18.14.4029) enhances display stability and performance, improves user experience when using Miracast adapters. Improves compatibility with DisplayPort monitors and daisy chaining.
- Wireless Network Controller and Bluetooth driver update (v15.68.3073.151) addresses connectivity issues while Hyper-V is enabled. Adds an advanced feature to control the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz band preference.
- Surface Home Button driver update (v2.0.1179.0) ensures compatibility with the Surface Hub app.
- Microsoft Docking Station Audio Device driver update (v220.127.116.11) improves the user experience while using the Surface Pro 3 Docking Station so that sound is available when a speaker is not connected to the docking station.
For more detailed information on all firmware updates for the device, checkout the Surface Pro Firmware update history.